Monkeys are found universally. In India monkeys can be seen from North to South. and from East to West.The monkey population is enormous in rural as well as urban areas. Even in a place like Delhi the monkeys are innumerable.The population of monkeys is on the increase. They are a source of great nuisance. Recently I read in The Times of India that senior Officials of the Municipal Corporation of Delhi petitioned in the Supreme Court of India that they should be relieved of their duties of controlling the monkey population.Their numbers have increased beyond control.The reason is that people give them food. Monkeys are considered to be the living representation of Hindu God Hanuman. The officials feel that as long as the people feed them,this menace cannot be controlled.About two years back a senior civic official died when a monkey attacked him in his house. After this incident the authorities become active and made efforts to shift the monkeys to far off forests,but no positive results were seen .
The monkeys happily continue with their antics. There is a comic side to many of these monkeys' aggressiveness. Some of these antics ,though a source of nuisance, are amusing and bring a smile.I will narrate some personal experiences with the monkeys and some which have been shared by friends and relatives.
- Our colony witnesses attack by hordes of monkeys in intervals.Some times a lone monkey enters the house,opens the frig and takes away the fruits. He will,then as if to tease us, sit on the parapet wall merrily eating the fruits and throwing down the seeds and the skin.
- We had planted corn in our kitchen garden. A naughty fellow pulls out the ripe ones and consumed them .
- Many a time a whole crowd will raid the garden and destroy all the plants.
- I remember that when I was the Principal of a school a class teacher had collected fees from the children which amounted to a big sum. She kept her purse on a table and was taking her meals, when a monkey just landed from nowhere,took the purse and ran away.She started shrieking but the devil ran away with it and within a minute or two was seen sitting on the parapet of wall of the roof top. There was great chaos in the school. All the staff and the pupils crowded in the compound watching the high drama that was being enacted. The clever monkey held the purse tightly under his arms. All actions failed to take away the purse from him. The roof top could not be reached as there were no stairs leading to it. A lab.Asst. of the school took an empty purse and climbed up to the roof of a neighbouring building and waved an empty purse as if to tease the monkey. He, then threw the purse in the school ground. The monkeys are known to be copy cats .He too took the purse from his under arm ,looked at it carefully for a few moments and as to tease the person on the next roof top threw the purse down. Ha,ha,ha.
- Another incidence of a similar type was seen by my husband in the market place. A monkey was strolling in the market place. Suddenly his attention was drawn to a dry cleaner's shop.A coat was hanging there.The monkey took a fancy for it.In a flash he grabbed it and climbed on an electric pole. Any amount of cajoling and coaxing had no impact on him. He held on tightly to it, and went on to sit on an electric pole.A crowd gathered there. A resourceful person threw a banana at the the monkey , presuming that he may throw away the coat.But the opponent was more clever. He grabbed the banana but held on tightly to the coat. Hey hey hey.
- A very interesting thing happens every weekend, Sundays and holidays. Hordes of monkeys invade the North and South Blocks of Central Secretariat and take charge of the buildings,which houses the top most beaurocracy.,including the Prime Minister and other Ministers of Govt of India.It appears that they take over the reins of the Govt. adminstration on such days.Oh ,oh, oh.
- I usually used to work in my office till 60 clock in the evening. Once when I was delayed, a monkey appeared, peeped into my room a nd went back He returned every ten minutes, looked inside my office and quietly retracted.I was amazed. What was all that. I called the security gaurd and asked him about the monkey. I was amused when I was told that after I leave my office a monkey family occupies it and makes it their abode. Thereafter they do not brook any interference.
I want to conclude that the simians cannot be vanquished and we have to accept their
suzerainty at some time or the other.