Every one has attended dinner/lunch parties. There are formal and informal parties.What ever may be the occasion we must maintain proper decorum and table manners when we go to a party on invitation. You might have observed that some people behave as if they have not taken any food for several days. I am listing 7 etiquettes which we must follow when we go out to attend a party.
1. Always be punctual.If you have been invited at 8'oclock, you must make it a point to reach at the stipulated time.We find people walking in at 10 'o clock as if time has no value.
2. When dinner is announced don't rush to the table. Wait for the host to gesture you .
3.When you sit down, do not keep your bag/file/ or packets on the table. Keep your belongings under your chair.Take the napkin and put it on your lap.Some people put it like a bib,round their neck. This is termed as bad manners.
4.It is again a sign of bad manners to pounce on the bowl containing your favourite dish. When the bowl comes to you do not fill your plate.Take a small helping. Some people just shout,"wow my favourite dish!" and almost empty the bowl.Don't make remarks like' too much or less salt'.
5. Don't go on talking.Give a chance to others also to speak. Don't laugh at the pitch of your voice.Talk softly otherwise the food may spill out of the mouth. Avoid speaking on your mobile phone. It is better to keep it on silent mode.
6. Don't cough, sneeze or belch loudly. If you have to cough/sneeze/belch say 'sorry'. Don't tap the spoon/fork on the plate.
7. After finishing food don't forget to thank the host and hostess.
These tips are for a party,where sitting arrangement is made.For buffets there are separate norms, which I will list out on another occasion.
.pic courtesy google