Last week my grand daughter went to attend a marriage. After she came home she asked me the significance of many rituals,which she had observed closely for the first time. I explained to her all about the different rituals.Suddenly she said,"Why were the bride and the groom walking round the fire?" I knew this question was coming. I clarified that the marriage is not complete without the bride and groom going round a holy fire seven times. These nine rounds are called seven 'Pheras'. Each phera has a significance:-
1. In the first round the couple prays to God to give them plenty of provisions to maintain a family.
2 The second phera is a prayer to God to give them physical, mental and spiritual strength.
3. This round is for prosperity so that they may lead a comfortable life
4. This phera is a prayer to God to enable them to have great regard and respect for the seniors of the family.
5. The fifth phera is for progeny. They pray that they may have healthy, and well mannered children.
6.The sixth step is a prayer for good health for both of them so that they can lead a a life without any worries.
7. The seventh step is a pledge by the bride and groom that they will always be loyal, respectful and sincere to each other.
Only after the couple completes the seven steps,they are declared husband and wife. Then both of them take the blessings of the seniors in the family, for a happy and prosperous wedded life.
Today is the third day of the seven days festival of words and I am participating in it. pic courtesy google