The importance of being a vegetarian is being realised by the people all over the world.The reason why people are shifting to vegetarianism is that they are becoming aware of the fact that vegetarian food is beneficial for health.Today I am giving recipes for making vegetarian cutlets.Many people confuse cutlets for kebabs. Generally Kebabs are wrapped on skewers and grilled on coal or in the oven. Cutlets are fried in oil. They can be deep or shallow fried according to the taste and requirement of the family.If we know the basics of making cutlets we can use any vegetable. Generally people make mixed vegetable cutlets. They are very delicious. I am writing the recipes of cutlets,which many people don't make and are very tasty.In our family these are favourites with the adults and the children alike.I will write recipes of four varieties.Chick pea cutlets, Yam cutlets,.Sago cutlets and Beetroot cutlets.
- Chickpea cutlets Ingredients:-
- Chickpeas (Kala Chana) 1 cup
- Ginger/garlic paste 1 tb spoon
- Coriander leaves
- Bread slice 1
- Potato 1 medium
- Garam Masala(Ground black cardamom,pepper.cinnamon,)
- red chili powder
- Oil for frying
- Method :-
- Soak chickpeas in water for 5 to 6 hours.Boil it in pressure cooker till tender(about 10-15mts).Strain the peas.Don't throw the water.It can be used to make soup.Keep the boiled peas aside. Boil the potato.Mash the peas, bread slice and potato very well.(don't use the blender, otherwise the cutlets will not bind )Add salt, spices, finely chopped coriander leaves, ginger garlic paste and red chili powder. Make balls of the size of a lemon and flatten between the palms of your hands. Now fry the cutlets.It is your choice.They can be shallow fried or deep fried on medium heat.They should be evenly browned. Serve hot with mint chutney or tomato ketchup.
- Yam(jimikand) Cutlets :-The cutlets with yam are prepared exactly like chickpea cutlets.The only difference is that the yam does not require to be soaked in water.You can cut medium sized pieces and boil them.
|mouth watering cutlets|
Sago (Sabudana) cutlets Ingredients:-
- Sago 1 cup
- Potatoes 3 medium
- Paneer(cottage cheese) 1/2 cup
- pepper powder
- Oil for frying
- Soak the sago in one and a half cups of water for about forty five minutes.The sago should look translucent and and not lumpy. If some water remains, it should be discarded. Mash the potatoes and paneer to form a very smooth paste.Add salt and pepper.Mix well Now fold in sago gently into the potato paneer paste.Ensure that there is no water in the sago.If you find some traces of water ,dry it with tissue paper.Shape like cutlets and deep fry in medium heat.The sago granules present a very attractive look. Serve hot. The children just love to have these cutlets.
- Beetroot Cutlets Ingredients:-
- Beetroot 1/2 kg
- Carrot 250 gms
- Green chillies two or three finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste 1ts spoon
- Garam masala
- All purpose flour about 1/2 cup
- Cashew or peanuts coarsely ground
- coriander leaves
- Oil for frying
- Grate the beetroot and the carrot
- Squeeze the water
- Add all the ingredients, mix well and fry(deep or shallow)
The recipes given above are all very simple to prepare.I am sure you will enjoy preparing them and your family relishing them.Happy eating!!