From My Kitchen Diary
It has been quite sometime that nothing has appeared from My Kitchen Diary. Some friends have specifically asked for recipes for making Pakoras . Many people complain that the Pakoras they make are not crisp. If you want really crisp Pakoras , you have to follow the method given below.
Pakoras are normally taken in the evening with tea. But just as any time is tea time, similarly any time is Pakora time. To make tasty and crisp pakoras we need;-
1.Besan(Gram flour) 1/2 cup
2.Maida(refined flour ) 1 cup
3. Pumpkin ½ kg. Sliced into square shape
4. Salt As per taste
5.Chaat Masala 1 tsp
6 Jeera I pinch
7. Coriander leaves two twigs
8. Baking powder ½ tsp
9 Oil for frying.
In a bowl mix besan and maida, and add the baking powder.Pour water and mix very well.Ensure that no lumps are formed. The batter should be of the consistency of a dosai. Add jeera,coriander leaves, salt and chaat masala.In the end dip the pumpkin slices( few at a time). In the meantime keep the oil on the gas and allow it to become hot. When the oil is hot, slightly reduce the heat and fry the pumpkin slices one by one till they are brown . Remove from the fire very carefully so that the oil is drained out. Sprinkle chaat masala over the pakoras. Serve with mint chutney, tomato chutney or tartar sauce .
We can make Pakoras with many vegetables.The vegetables commonly used are potatoes, cauliflower,paneer etc. You can prepare pakoras with some lesser known vegetables such as lotus stem(bhey), spinach leaves, bell peppers and many more by using your creativity and imagination.
Here are some tips for the kitchen
1. If too much salt is added by mistake in chicken or mutton cut one potato , add it to the gravy and boil again for a couple of minutes. Discard the potato.
2. If we keep a small piece of bread in a jar of cookies or cake, they will remain fresh for quite sometime
3. When preparing dough for rotis(specially when we are travelling and carrying food)add some milk. The rotis will remain fresh.
4. If we want to have crisp potatoes, we can sprinkle some salt on them before frying.